Zyrtec is the brand name of Cetirizine which is an antihistamine that is used to treat cold and its allergic symptoms like a runny nose, itching and sneezing. Zyrtec is also used in the treatment of swelling that is caused by chronic hives. Initially, Zyrtec was available only as a prescription medicine but later it was approved by FDA as an over-the-counter drug. To clear the queries about the medicine many people prefer to buy Zyrtec only after getting it prescribed.
Proper way of taking Zyrtec
- Zyrtec is available as a typical tablet, a chewable tablet and also as syrup.
- Zyrtec can be taken once a day preferably at the day time.
- As there are many formulations of this drug it is better to take Zyrtec drug upon getting it prescribed from a physician.
- Lower dosage of Zyrtec pill is prescribed for children and elders and it can be taken with or without food.
Read these precautions before taking Zyrtec
- A person who is allergic to the ingredients of Zyrtec should not take the drug.
- Since Zyrtec is available as an over-the-counter drug it is safe to ask the pharmacist if an individual can consume the drug before buying it.
- Pregnant and nursing women are supposed to inform their physician prior to taking Zyrtec pill.
Know the side effects before consuming Zyrtec
Some of the side effects that are found to prevail while a person is on treatment with this drug are,
- dryness in mouth,
- problem in sleeping pattern,
These side effects happen in the initial stage and go off once a person’s body gets used to the medication.