Xanax is a medicine that is prescribed to be used in the treatment of anxiety and panic disorders including generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and social anxiety disorder (SAD). Anxiety can be caused by various medical and environmental factors. Xanax, which is the brand variant of alprazolam, is a short acting anxiolytic that belongs to the benzodiazepine group of drugs. Since Xanax has been one of the most effective drug, doctors prescribe to buy Xanax for the treatment of anxiety. Xanax was the twelfth most prescribed medicine in the year 2010. The drug possesses sedative, hypnotic, anxiolytic, skeletal muscle relaxant and anticonvulsant (group of pharmacological agents that are used in the treatment of epileptic seizures) properties. Due to its efficacy, Xanax was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the year 1981. Since the safety and effectiveness of the medicine in patients under the age of 18 is not yet established, the medicine is supposed to be used only by adults.
How Alprazolam work in treating Anxiety?
The drug works by affecting the chemicals that are found in the brain. These chemicals remain unbalanced in an individual suffering from anxiety. The drug performs a depressant activity in the central nervous system. Thus the medicine decreases the abnormal activity that is occurring in the brain and produces a relaxing or calming effect in the body. It binds to the GABA receptors that are found in the central nervous system, increases the activities of the receptors and slows down the exciting activity of the brain to bring it back to the normal condition. Though the drug has a half-life of nearly 11 hours, the maximum effect of the drug can be felt during the first 2 hours upon consuming the drug.
What are the secondary uses of Xanax?
Other beneficial uses of the Xanax include treatment of anxiousness that is associated with depression. In many cases depression is the main cause for an individual to become anxious. The Xanax medicine is effective when it is taken to treat such conditions. When combined with other medicines the drug can be used in the treatment of chemotherapy induced vomiting and nausea which is a side effect of cancer treatment. Xanax can also be used in the treatment of symptoms like bloating, fatigue and irritation that occur in women between the ovulation and menstrual period (premenstrual syndrome). Xanax is also given to people who have agoraphobia which is the fear to situations that cause panic.
What is the difference between Generic Xanax and Xanax Brand?
Only when a person have some knowledge about generic and brand Xanax he will be able to spot out the difference between them. The brand variant of Xanax was manufactured first with the active ingredient alprazolam. Due to its efficacy and when the patent of the medicine got over, many generic manufacturers started preparing generic formulation of the medicine with the same active ingredient alprazolam. Generic Xanax contains only different inactive ingredients when compared to the brand Xanax. Since it is manufactured from the brand one, the investment of cost is less in Generic Xanax. So, generic manufacturers are capable of providing the same high quality med at a cheaper price.
Based on Bioequivalence
In terms of bioequivalence both generic and brand Xanax will be the same, as bioequivalence is the term that is used to indicate the characteristics of the drug in terms of its effectiveness, quality and dosing regimen. In that case Generic Xanax should also possess similar characteristics as the brand one if it has to be available in the market.
Based on Active ingredients
The generic variant of Xanax should also comprise of the same active ingredient as the branded counterpart in order to clear the norms set by the FDA. Since the active ingredient is primarily responsible for the efficacy of the medicine, Generic Xanax should also contain the same amount of active ingredient as the brand variant to produce effective results.
Based on Inactive ingredients
There are few differences between the generic and brand Xanax in terms of the inactive ingredients. However, the inactive ingredients do not cause any changes in the positive activity of the drug. These inactive ingredients may cause allergic reactions in some people. The inactive ingredients present in the generic version of Xanax include corn starch, sodium starch glycollate, microcrystalline cellulose and few others.
Based on price
When it comes to price, definitely Generic Xanax is available at a cheaper price when compared to the brand one. This is due to the low investment that is made at the time of preparing the Generic Xanax. Hence, customers will be able to get the generic formulation of Xanax at a price which is very much lower than the price of the branded medicine but with the same standard in the quality of the medicine.
Xanax dosage information and instructions
Xanax is available as a compressed tablet and also as extended release formulation. The tablet is made available in such a way that it can be split into two if insisted by the healthcare provider. Xanax regular release tablets are available in dosage strengths ranging from 0.25mg to 2mg and Xanax extended release tablets are available in 0.5mg to 3mg dosage strengths. Xanax is also available as an oral solution in 0.5mg/5ml and 1mg for every 1ml oral solutions. Oral formulation of the Xanax has a calibrated dropper that has the markings to indicate the dosages. Xanax is prescribed based on the age, medical history and other medical condition of an individual. In case of elders and patients with liver disease, lower dosage of the pill is prescribed.
Proper way of taking Xanax
- Xanax pills should be taken only in the way it is directed by the physician.
- Xanax should be orally administered with or without food.
- The Xanax drug has to be taken 2 to 4 times a day whereas the extended release tablets should be taken once a day preferably in the morning, with water.
- A person who is on treatment with Xanax drug should be very careful as he/she is not supposed to take the medicine in larger or smaller quantity or for a prolonged span of time..
- It is important to read the information leaflet provided with the Xanax medicine before one commences his treatment with this medicine.
- To witness the improvement or changes, a person should take Xanax at the same time every day.
- The Xanax oral solution bottle should be discarded within 3 months from the date one has started consuming it.
strong>Missing a dose
Since there are possibilities for a person to be put with several doses of Xanax a day there are chances to forget taking Xanax. In that case, a person should take the missed dose of Xanax as soon as he remembers. But he/she should be careful not to double dose on the Xanax as it may lead to unwanted consequences. It is wise to skip the missed dose and continue with the regular dosing schedule if it is closely time for the next dose.
Overdosing on Xanax leads to harmful side effects. The overdosing symptoms are confused thoughts, lack of coordination, muscle weakness, fainting, coma and severe drowsiness. Overdosing can at times can even lead to death. Hence, a person should seek the help of an authorized physician or reach the help line centre instantaneously if he experiences any of the above mentioned symptoms.
Read this Precautions before taking Xanax
- A person taking medicines for liver or kidney disease, seizures, asthma or any other breathing disorder should talk to their doctor before commencing their treatment with Xanax.
- An individual who has a history of drug addiction and suicidal thoughts should ask help from a medical expert before taking Xanax.
- Any individual who is allergic to the active ingredient alprazolam or other benzodiazepine drugs should not take Xanax.
- A person having narrow angle glaucoma should not take Xanax.
- Since the medicine can be habit forming, an individual taking Xanax is advised not to take higher dose of this drug.
- Antifungal medications should not be consumed when a person is on treatment with Xanax.
- Xanax can induce drowsiness or dizziness; so a person is not supposed to perform any activities that require focus like driving or operating any machinery while taking this drug.
- Elders who are on treatment with Xanax are subject to risk of side effects to a large extent. They should be very careful while taking Xanax as it may lead to loss of coordination.
- Also, a person should inform his physician if he is taking any over-the–counter or prescription drug alongside this drug.
Alchohol and Xanax
An individual taking Xanax pills is not supposed to consume alcohol as taking alcohol in large amount may increase the chances of death. Even lower dose of Xanax is not supposed to be taken together with alcohol as it reduces the ability of a person to breathe which may lead to coma. Both alcohol and Xanax depress the activity of the central nervous system and cause dizziness or difficulty in concentrating. Hence, it is not advised to take alcohol while a person is on treatment with this medicine.
Xanax Pregnancy and Breastfeeding Warnings
Xanax is classified as pregnancy category D medicine, which means a woman is not supposed to take Xanax during pregnancy as it may harm the unborn foetus. There are chances for the withdrawal symptoms to be felt by the baby whose mother has taken Xanax while being pregnant. In order to maintain the healthy condition of a baby, it is also necessary not to take Xanax when a mother is nursing her baby. If a pregnant woman wants to take Xanax it is better to consult a doctor and get proper instructions from him before starting her treatment with this med.
What are the side effects associated with Xanax (Alprazolam)?
Like other medicines, there are chances to go through some side effects when a person takes Xanax. Some of the side effects that are associated with Xanax are, change in pattern of speech, feeling empty, blurred vision, rashes, loss of interest or appetite, trouble in concentrating or sleeping and tiredness. The side effects may occur as a result of many conditions like change in quantity of the medicine taken, duration of treatment and irregularities in taking the medicine. But these can easily be avoided by following the instructions of the healthcare provider and taking Xanax in a proper manner.
Common side effects
Side effects that occur in common are
- Change in weight
- Skin rashes
- Sexual tension
These side effects occur in the initial stage of the treatment. Their occurrence is due to the reaction of the body to the new medicine. They go off when the body gets used to the medicine.
Un-common side effects
Some side effects may be severe and occur only on a rare basis. Such adverse effects include
- Lack of emotions
- Performing actions that are out of control
- Decrease attention to respond
- Unusual sense of well-being
- Loss of hearing
- Suicidal thoughts
- Excitement feeling
- Lack of energy
These reactions happen only occasionally. But a person should immediately get help from a medical expert if he witnesses any of these reactions.
Drug interactions while taking Xanax
There are few medicines that interact with Xanax. They are
- Tricyclic antidepressants like Imipramine
- Antifungal including Ketoconazole
- Antibiotics like Erythromycin and Clarithromycin
- Anticonvulsant like Carbamazepine
- Birth control pills
- HIV/AIDS medications like Sustiva and Atripla
- Protease inhibitors like Ritonavir
- Antipsychotics like Thorazine, Clozaril, Haldol and few others
- Medicines that are used in the treatment of insomnia like <a href=” “>Ambien </a> and Lunesta
- Other antianxiety medications like Klonopin, Valium and Ativan
- Methadone that may cause fatal problems when taken with Xanax
These drugs interfere with the activity of Xanax and increase the risk of side effects of the pill. The drug interactions can be prevented if a person takes Xanax as guided by the health care provider.
How to Store Xanax after using?
- Xanax should be stored away from light, heat and moisture.
- Xanax should never be accessed by children.
- Xanax should be stored in a room temperature between 68ᵒF and 77ᵒF.
- The Xanax tablet should be stored in a cool and dry place after using.
- Xanax should also be placed in a location that is not reachable by pets.
- Do not keep the Xanax pills in bathroom as there are chances for it to get exposed to light and water.
- It is necessary to check the expiry date of the Xanax pill before using them. If the pills are already expired they should be disposed in a safe manner as indicated by the physician.
By following these instructions one can store and use the medicine in a safe manner.
Why people prefer to buy Xanax from online pharmacy?
There are many reasons why people prefer to buy their Xanax pills from an online pharmacy. The first of all will be because of the quality. A good legitimate online pharmacy assures to provide high quality Xanax pills to its customer. The second reason may be because of the price. Online pharmacies provide the medicine at a significantly lower price when compared to the offline medical stores. The third one is because of the convenience. The mail order pharmacies provide all the information about the med along with its usage even before the delivery of the medicine and make it convenient for the customer to shop from them. Also, a person can just order and get medicine delivered just by few clicks of the mouse. Few other reasons like, their delivery of Xanax pills even to remote areas where traditional medical stores are not set up and their apt response to the questions posed by the consumer, makes it an added advantage to procure Anti-anxiety meds from an online pharmacy.
Best Quality Xanax is now Cheaper than you think
It is true that best quality Xanax is now available at a cheaper cost than imagined by the customer. This is possible when the purchase is made through a reliable online pharmacy. No brick and mortar store offers drug at a cost that is provided by online drug stores. The person can also make price comparisons and be sure that he has been provided with authentic medicines at a lower price in an online pharmacy. As they get medicines from wholesale manufacturers online pharmacies are competent to produce meds at such cost. The only task that a customer has to do is to identify a trustworthy online pharmacy that secures the details of the customer and also provides meds at cheaper price and then place the order.