Periostat belonging to the class of antibiotics, works by curing a spectrum of bacterial infections even the ones that are responsible for producing acne. Periostat is also used to cure periodontitis, a dental condition that causes bacterial infections in the gums, the area surrounding the teeth and bone. Doxycycline typically helps patients with periodontitis by working on the breakdown of the collagen or the cell walls surrounding the bacteria.
Proper way of taking Periostat
- Periostat recommendation is 20 mg two times a day. But you can buy Periostat in whatever dosage that is suggested to you by the doctor.
- If you happen to miss any dose, do not double the dose in the next dosing interval. This will lead to an overdose.
- Take Periostat for the entire course of the therapy to get completely cured of your ailment. Do not stop taking Periostat even if your condition seems to disappear.
Read these precautions before taking Periostat
- Refrain from taking Periostat medicine for a long time as long term use is notorious for causing another infection.
- While on treatment with Periostat medicine, if you need to get labs tests performed for any other reason you must either postpone the lab test for a while or inform the lab personnel that you are currently consuming Periostat.
- Periostat must not be taken in any trimester of pregnancy is it was known to cause harm to the unborn baby and hamper its development.
Know the side effects before consuming Periostat
Common side effects of Periostat are,
- Extreme sensitivity to sun light
- Stomach problems
Serious side effects of Periostat are,
- Allergic reactions such as itching, breathing difficulty, hives and rashes on the skin
- Severe sun burn
- Vision changes
- Vagina discharge or irritation