Aldactone is a water pill or a diuretic pill that is used in the treatment of heart failure and high blood pressure. The ingredients (Spironolactone) in Aldactone preclude the absorption sodium into the body but at the same time, it also keeps the potassium levels from becoming low. One can also buy Aldactone to treat a condition where aldosterone, a hormone that is responsible for regulating salt and water balance in the body, is present in the body in higher than usual levels. Aldactone also treats:
- Fluid retention in people suffering from heart failure
- Certain condition related to liver called cirrhosis
- Nephrotic syndrome, a disorder related to the kidneys.
Proper way of taking Aldactone
- Aldactone must be taken by mouth typically early during the day so as to prevent urination during the sleep.
- If taking Aldactone with water is resulting in any stomach problems, it can be taken along with a glass of milk.
- The dosage of Aldactone medicine depends on the health condition of the person who is taking the medicine. For children, the dosage depends on the weight.
Read these precautions before taking Aldactone
- Do not take Aldactone medicine if you have had allergic reactions to spironolactone in the past or if you have medical ailments such as kidney diseases or high levels of potassium.
- If one needs to go for a blood test or surgery the usage of Aldactone must be discontinued for a short time.
Know the side effects before consuming Aldactone
Common side effects of Aldactone are,
- Numbness or cramps in the legs
- Tenderness or swelling of the breasts
Severe side effects of Aldactone are,
- High potassium levels in the body
- Low levels of sodium
- Bloody stools or coughing up blood which indicates stomach bleeding